Closings, Delays & Early Dismissals
Norwich Public Schools communicates any school closures, delays and early dismissals to parents/guardians through ParentSquare and our District Social Media pages. Please ensure that your contact information is up to date with the Registration Office to receive timely notifications through ParentSquare If you are not receiving ParentSquare notifications, contact your child’s school to ensure you are opted in for notifications through text, call and/or email.
You can also sign-up for third party school closure notification through local news outlets (WFSB, FOX 61, WTNH & NBC).
- Scenario #1: Snow, ice or bad weather that will cause the morning commute to be unsafe is known the night before
- Scenario #2: Snow, ice or bad weather that will cause the afternoon commute to be unsafe
- Scenario #3: Bad weather is not predicted but ice/unsafe road conditions occur unexpectedly overnight
- Scenario #4: If bad weather is predicted, what are some reasons why you may not delay?
- Scenario #5: Major weather event is known prior to 6PM the night before (hurricane, blizzard, snow 5-6 inches or more)
- Scenario #6 NPS canceled school, but my child attends a school outside of NPS and their school did not cancel. Why did my child’s bus not pick them up today?
Two Hour Delay
Transportation will arrive approximately 2 hours later than your child's regular pickup time. This includes "out of town" transportation. Please continue to listen for updates, as a 2-hour delay may become a full cancellation if conditions do not improve as anticipated.
When Norwich Public Schools announces a school closure, there will be no transportation to any schools in Norwich, out-of-town schools, after school programs or evening activities.
There may be instances where it becomes necessary to evacuate the school in order to ensure the safety of our students. Students will be transported to another site where they will continue the school day. Parents will be notified via ParentSquare as soon as information is available, and will receive updates throughout the entirety of the event until it is safely resolved. Under the advice of Norwich Police Department, we recommend that school phone lines be kept clear of all incoming calls in order to avoid creating a secondary hazard.
If deemed safe by emergency personnel, students will be transported home on their regular bus at the end of the school day. “Walker” students will be transported back to their home school where they will be met by parents, or walk home along their regular route. Students enrolled in the before and after school program will be transported back to the school.