Dear Moriarty Families,
Welcome to the 2021-2022 school year at Moriarty School! Here are a few important ideas to help you frame your thinking as we work together to welcome your children into the school year, ensure a smooth school opening and promote the health and safety of students and staff.
The first day of school is scheduled for Monday, August 30, 2021. We encourage ALL students to attend on the very first day of school
Masks (Wear a Face Covering)
The most important mitigation strategy during the 2021-2022 school year is to wear a mask.
- All students and staff are required to wear a mask, covering their nose and mouth, for the duration of their school day. This includes the bus ride to school, during the school day, and during their bus ride home.
- Students will be able to take off their masks when eating breakfast and lunch.
- Students will also be given frequent mask breaks, which will be outdoors with students six feet apart or more.
- Please send your child with the masks that they are most comfortable in. We ask that you send at least two masks, one that they are wearing and a second in a Ziploc bag as a backup.
- Masks with an exhalation vent do not meet CDC standards and are not allowed in school for staff or students. Gator-style masks are not prohibited, but not encouraged.
- If your child loses their mask, or their mask gets dirty during the school day, we will supply them with a disposable mask for the remainder of the day.
We will require staff and students to wash and sanitize their hands frequently throughout the day. We will provide instruction to students on proper handwashing techniques. Parents may send children with their own personal sanitizer for use as well.
It is absolutely necessary that students showing any signs of illness are kept home.
We are asking all parents to complete a self-assessment each day. If your child has any of the following symptoms, please do not send your child to school.
- Does my child have a fever of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher?
- Does my child have a cough?
- Does my child have shortness of breath?
- Is my child fatigued?
- Does my child have muscle or body aches?
- Does my child have a headache?
- Does my child have a new loss of taste or smell?
- Does my child have nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?
- Has my child had close contact with a person with confirmed COVID-19?
- Has my child traveled or lived in an area in the CT Governor’s Quarantine list?
First Days of School:
The first days of school will focus on teaching and learning new procedures, routines, covid safety protocols, and building relationships among teachers, students, and peers.
August / September 2020
Class lists have been a moving target all summer long. A welcome letter with class assignments was sent to your home address. In addition, on Wednesday, August 25 you will receive a message (with KINVO to your cell phone) with your child’s class assignment and teacher’s name. Once school begins, and families receive their class codes, Class Dojo will be our primary communication platform.
School Hours, Arrival & Dismissal
Moriarty School is in session from 8:50 AM - 3:35 PM.
This year, we are expecting large numbers of Moriarty students to be dropped off and picked up. Therefore, we will be adjusting our arrival and departure times to accommodate the large number of students we are expecting to arrive and depart by car.
For students arriving by car every day, arrival times are as follows:
- Doors will open in the Moriarty Parent Drop off lane at 8:35 AM
For students departing by car every day, departure times are as follows:
- Doors will open in the Moriarty Pick Up Door at 3:30 PM
Arrival will be valet style. Parents should follow directional signs into the U-shaped turnaround located off of the main parking lot.
- Parents pull into the U-shaped turnaround located off the main parking lot
- Students gather their belongings, put on their masks so they can quickly exit the car
- Parents remain in their cars until greeted by a staff member
Dismissal will also be ‘valet’ style:
- Parents pull into the U-shaped turnaround located off the main parking lot AND follow signage
- Parents remain in their cars until greeted by a staff member
- Parents display the Moriarty Pick Up Pass
- Students are released to their authorized pickup person
Information for getting a Moriarty Pick Up Pass will be in each student’s backpack on their first day of school. One pass will be allotted per family. It will include information for those authorized for pick up, car make and model, and student name. If parents do not have their Moriarty Pick Up Pass, families will be asked to park and show identification for dismissal.
Unexpected or Emergency Dismissal
We understand that changes in dismissal will be necessary from time to time. Should a change in dismissal become necessary, please complete a Change In Dismissal Note and send it to school with your child. You will be provided with a pad of Change in Dismissal Notes on the first day of school. The child should give the note to his/her teacher when they arrive at school. The teacher will initial the note and send it to the main office. The main office will record the change and provide appropriate staff prior to dismissal.
If you need to call in a change to dismissal, please contact our school office by 2:30 PM at the latest.
- We ask that all students with a change in dismissal be picked up at 3:00 PM
- Parents park in the parking lot and come to the front door.
- Parents should buzz into the secretary, identify themselves, state whom they are picking up, and state the reason for dismissal.
- The secretary will ask you to show identification through the window in the main office.
- Parents will wait outside and students will meet you at the front door in the lobby.
Families that live within the Moriarty Attendance Zone will receive information regarding bus pick-up time, drop-off time, and bus stop location by email. The bus company will no longer be sending bus cards by mail.
Students are required to wear masks for the entirety of the bus ride. Any student not complying with wearing a mask on the bus may lose their bus privileges.
Breakfast, Lunch, and Recess
Norwich Public Schools will continue to provide breakfast and lunch options for students. Breakfast is ‘Grab and Go’ style and eaten in the classrooms. This year, students will be eating lunch in the cafeteria. Children that prefer to bring their own lunch can continue to do so as they normally would.
Students will participate in 30 minutes of recess each day. Recess will be outdoors as much as possible. Students will sanitize and/or wash their hands before and after recess. Please make sure your child dresses appropriately for the weather.
During the warm months, Moriarty students participate in outdoor learning to the extent feasible. When learning outdoors, and separated by six feet or more, students will be permitted to take their masks off.
We will use shady areas as much as possible, but parents should consider applying sunscreen, and/or bug spray to their children prior to sending them to school. Parents may also want to pack a beach towel each day for extra comfort when learning outside.
Students will return to a ‘normal’ specials schedule. Each classroom will participate in Art, Music, and Library Media Tech one time per week and Physical Education two times per week. In addition, as part of our magnet program, students will have an additional Art, LMT or Music once a week for the entire trimester. The extra special will rotate after each trimester. Teachers will provide you with your child’s special schedule.
Norwich Public Schools has a uniform policy. Students must wear the following during school hours:
- Blue or khaki-colored jumpers, skirts, pants, or shorts
- Solid blue or white shirts with a collar
- Solid blue or white sweaters or sweatshirts are optional.
At this time, in order to protect everyone’s health, visitors, including parents, will not be permitted to enter our school buildings. Thank you for your cooperation as we all work together to keep our school community safe.
Each child will receive the following school supplies from NPS: Readers & Writers notebooks, pencils, pencil sharpeners, post-it notes, take-home book baggies. Teachers have also ordered items such as crayons, colored pencils, glue sticks, and scissors for each child.
We do ask that each child bring a (1) one-inch binder and (2) dry erase markers to school.
Additional Items for Students to Bring Each Day:
Backpack, 2 face masks (1 on and 1 in a Ziploc bag), a beach towel for outdoor instructional time, a snack, a personal water bottle, and personal hand sanitizer. Parents are encouraged to apply sunscreen prior to leaving for school.
Please label masks, beach towels, water bottles, & personal hand sanitizer with your child’s name.
We will be hosting a Back to School BBQ on Thursday, August 26. This is a great opportunity to come to Moriarty, meet your child’s teacher and classmates, and enjoy time together as a school community.
Our main office is open 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM. Please do not hesitate to call 860-823-4206 to ask any questions. I can also be reached by email at: email@example.com.
Mr. Victor Turbes, Assistant Principal