Dear Norwich Public Schools Families and Staff,
I sincerely hope that everyone is doing well and that this school closure is allowing you to spend more time as a family. I do understand that for some, the school closure has been very difficult and that is regrettable. Please know we are doing whatever necessary to ensure the health and safety of our students, their families, and our staff.
These are uncertain times, but I am incredibly confident in one thing, “We are Norwich.” We are a strong, loving, caring and tight-knit community. Our teachers love our students and our community loves our teachers. We will get through this challenging time together because of our love for our students and each other. We will lean on each other for support, we will check in with our neighbors and we will ensure that the members of our community are okay. At this time, the health and safety of our children are the priority followed closely by our educational expectations.
Here is the latest information:
- Governor Lamont has closed all school districts through the end of March.
- Any additional information about school closure will be communicated through School Messenger, the district website, local media outlets and Twitter.
- Please call your child’s school to ensure that your contact information is up to date. If you are unable to contact the school directly, please contact us through the district website.
Student meal sites
- The Norwich Public Schools are serving student meals (breakfast and lunch) at 18 sites throughout the city.
- We are serving 600-1160 students daily.
- Please check the district website for more specific information on distribution sites.
- We are taking great care with cleanliness and social distancing at meal sites.
- The Governor is asking that all school departments engage in distance learning.
- We will be providing distance learning opportunities to Norwich students in 4 phases for ALL students. We are planning programs and support for students PK-8 inclusive of ELL students and students with unique and special needs.
- Phase 1-Today we added Virtual Fieldtrips and at Home Enrichment Activities to our website. We also have added information on Resources for Internet Access and Data Usage. It is our hope that all families will be able to connect to these digital materials but we are also working to create a backup plan for those without devices and/or Wi-Fi.
- Phase 2-If we remain closed, after March 30th we will upload distance learning programs in Reading and Math to our district website.
- Phase 3-If we remain closed after April 5th, we will upload learning opportunities in Science and Social Studies
- Phase 4-If we continue to remain closed, we will upload information in other subjects
- We are communicating with families through School Messenger and on our district website. It is important that all families ensure that their child’s school has their most updated contact information.
- If you have specific questions, please contact us through our district website email portal. We try our best to respond within 24 hours.
- No decision has been made yet with regard to the April vacation.
Makeup Days and the last day of school
- Governor Lamont has indicated that if school departments engage in distance learning they will be permitted to end school on their previously established “last day.” For Norwich Public Schools, June 17th will be the last day of school for grades 6-8, and June 18th for grades Pre-K-5.
We will continue to update you as information becomes available. Please heed the Governor’s request to stay home and practice social distancing (refraining from gatherings of more than 10 people).
My sincere best wishes for a safe and successful return to school. We truly miss you all!
Kristen E. Stringfellow, Ed.D.
Contact Translations Services at 860.823.4205 x2595 or firstname.lastname@example.org for translations in Spanish, Haitian Creole or Chinese.
Para servicios de traducción contáctenos al 860.823.4205 x2595 o al correo email@example.com para traducciones en Español, Criollo Haitiano o Chino.
如果您需要翻译服务，请拨打 860.823.4205 x2595 或者 firstname.lastname@example.org 可翻译的语言有西班牙语，海地/海地克里奥尔语，和中文。
Pou ayisyen ki pale kreol selman, si ou gen on dokiman ou bezwen tradwi, kontakte nou nan nimero sa 860.823.4205 x2595 ou byen sou entenet nan email@example.com Nou tradwi tou an panyol ak chinwa.