Happy Spring! As we approach the final Marking Period of the 2016-2017 school year I would like to share some updates with you:
- Students will participate in their next Personalized Learning Opportunities (PLO's) on Fridays beginning March 31st. Students have selected their PLO from a 'menu' of offerings.
- We celebrate our 2nd Marking Period Veterans VIPs on March 22nd.
- We are approaching our year-end assessment period. SBAC Science will be taken by 5th Grade only on March 28th. The SBAC Reading and Math assessments for Grades 3-5 will be scheduled between May 1st-May12th. The results of these assessments will be released at the beginning of next school year; and are used by the State of CT to determine student, school, and district progress. Students will be working diligently the next 6 weeks to prepare for the SBAC Assessments.
- All class rooms have recently received either a ChromeBook, or iPad cart, providing students opportunities to utilize technology throughout every school day (and without having to share with other classes!). These carts were secured through funds from a State of CT bond which we were eligible for due to our SIG grant.
- More school improvements to come thanks to the State of CT bond!
- The Read to Ride Program has begun and is ongoing through April 28th. Please encourage your child to read nightly for 20-30 minutes and complete their Read to Ride log. Once turned in they receive entry into a drawing for a new bike (or giftcard) courtesy of the Ready to Ride program. The more a child reads, the more entries they receive!
- A few dates to remember:
- March 31 - PTO Movie Night @ 6:00
- April 10-14 - Spring Vacation
- June 2 - Field Day
- This is an exciting time for Veterans Memorial School as we prepare to take the education of your children to the next level. We hope to share this excitement with you at our many school-wide and evening events. Please check your child's backpack for notices, and/or visit our school Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/vetselementary, for more information.
Adam Rosenberg, Principal