CREC Teacher Residency Program
Norwich Public Schools is a partner district in the CREC Teacher Residency Program, an alternate route to elementary certification focused on increasing teachers of color across the state of Connecticut.
The Teacher Residency Program is an alternate route to elementary certification focused on increasing teachers of color across the state of Connecticut. Resident candidates will be enrolled in rigorous coursework for 18 months and serve in a paid residency position in a mentor teacher’s classroom for the school year. Four residents will work at Norwich Public Schools and attend classes virtually and on-site at our regional education service center in Old Lyme.
Highlights of TRP:
- Resident selection prioritizes potential to work with diverse students and minimizes barriers to traditional certification program admission
- Residents participate in courses for 18 months at little to no cost
- Coursework is designed by practicing educators and prioritizes skills necessary to be successful in a diverse classroom
- Residents work for one year in a partner district under a mentor teacher while receiving pay and benefits
- Residents are guaranteed a full-time teaching position at NPS upon completion of the certification requirements
- Residents are eligible to earn CT certification after fourteen months and 90 days of successful teaching in their own classroom
Cohorting builds a collaborative environment for residents to grow and excel together.
Equity, social justice and antiracism drive our curriculum and training for all participants.
Residents work with carefully selected mentors for excellence in training.
Demonstration of courage as residents take on the challenge of an intensive program and a new career path.
Demonstrated commitment to diversity in the field of education
Experience working with marginalized populations
Bachelor’s degree required
Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or greater*
*Candidates with an undergraduate GPA below a 3.0 may apply but must complete a waiver request.
Residents earn a salary plus benefits (Equivalent to $32,000 from August 2021 – August 2022) » Elementary education certification
A guaranteed a full-time teaching position upon completion of the program and certification requirements in the partner district
summer, evening, and some Saturdays for 18 months:
June 2021 – December 2022
One year in a Mentor Teacher’s classroom for hands-on experience and student teaching:
August 2021 – June 2022
edTPA, Foundation of Reading Test, Praxis II:
December 2021 – July 2022
Full-time teaching position and support beginning August 2022
Reserve a Spot
Currently there are no open spots.
CREC Teacher Residency Program Coordinator