Dear Veterans Families,
Welcome Back! Welcome to our new Kindergarten and all our new students!
I hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer. I also hope you are relaxed, recharged, and ready to start a new school year. I am so delighted that you are part of our amazing learning community. I welcome and value your positive energy and dedication to excellence in education, and I look forward to working with you and your children.
All signs point to another incredible and productive school year. Our top priorities are the learning, health, safety, and overall well-being of your child(ren). Thus, we will continue to follow all guidance provided by the CT State Department of Education, Uncas Health Department, and the Norwich Board of Education related to COVID -19. Additionally, our skilled and devoted staff is already planning and preparing for your child(ren). Our hard-working and conscientious custodians have spent the entire summer thoroughly cleaning the facility. Lastly, our much-appreciated PTO is gearing up to welcome families, provide volunteer opportunities, and offer other exciting events and programs. We are indeed a joyous and caring community with the common goals of nurturing respectful, responsible, and caring students and promoting high-level learning.
As the 2021-22 school year rapidly approaches, here are a few pieces of important information:
- Welcome Back Family BBQ – Thursday, August 26, 2021, from 5:00-6:30.
- 1st Day of School – The first day for Veterans Memorial and elementary schools is Monday, August 30, 2021.
- School Day – The school day begins at 8:50 (doors open at 8:45) and ends at 3:35 (students board buses and are dismissed to parents at this time).
- School Uniforms - The Norwich Board of Education requires all students to follow the uniform policy. In short, all students must wear blue or white collared shirts and blue or khaki bottoms (dress or docker style pants, shorts, skirts, jumpers, etc.). Any sweatshirts or sweaters must be solid blue or white (hoods are not allowed to be worn in the school). Shoes must be closed-toe (sneakers, flats, boots, dress shoes, etc.)
- Attendance – Students must attend school every day for the full school day.
- Student Placement – A great deal of time, effort, and thought has gone into the process of student placement for the 2021-22 school year. You will find your child’s assigned teacher below. Careful consideration was given to student learning styles and needs and input from staff, who worked to balance classrooms academically and socially. Moving students is difficult without causing imbalances and inequities. Please keep in mind that it can take a few weeks for a child to acclimate to a new grade, peer group, and teacher, and thank you for being positive with your child and helping them understand that it is impossible to place all students with a preferred best friend or teacher. ALL of our staff works hard to make school a positive experience for ALL students. Veterans Memorial is eagerly looking forward to enriching your child’s life.